Beamis12

Someone: A Novel
Alice McDermott

Five Days at Memorial

Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital - Sheri Fink

Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath was a horrible disaster, and the pictures haunted our television screens for days. So much went on as it actually became for many, survival of the fittest and a die hard effort to protect, feed, shelter and get water for their families. There were such limited resources available for these poor people and the sight of their faces is one I have not forgotten.

At the hospitals, all services were non existent and Sheri Fink does a wonderful job simply stating the facts and portraying what went on, without asserting her own personal opinions and biases. It is hard to judge the actions of others unless we are put in the same exact circumstances. Who can really say how they would have acted? What they would have done? I cannot think of anything harder than the decisions these doctors and nurses were forced to make. I have my own opinions, but I will not judge them. I cannot even imagine having to go through what these people did. I remember thinking that this sounded like a disaster in a third world country, a country with limited resources and funds. Not here, that was for sure.

Anyway, alternately heartbreaking but fascinating, this is a story that I think needed to be told.